|Using the South County Room
- Register at the reference desk. Patrons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Photocopying is permitted, provided that it will not damage the original material.
- Picture taking is permitted.
- Staff will retrieve materials from locked cabinets and closed stacks upon request.
- Ancestry Library Edition - Currently only available on our public computers and patron devices in the library.
Discover your unique family history! This resource includes billions of records from around the world, including U.S., U.K., and Canadian census and vital records, immigration and passport records, periodicals and books, photos, and more.
This Database can only be accessed in the Library*.
- Web Sites of interest to those doing genealogical research.
- Lawrence Collection: Family papers, genealogical notes, letters, photographs.
- Davisville Mill Records Collection: May be examined by appointment only.
- Family Tree Maker's Family Archives: Vital Records: Rhode Island 1500s-1900s--This CD-ROM includes 20 volumes of the Rhode Island Genealogical Register and 13 volumes of Rhode Island Vital Records, New Series. Probate records, town records, land records, family histories, cemetery records, church records, and military records are included.
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register on CD-ROM: Full text articles from the Register
- Vital Records of Rhode Island, 1636-1850
Other Special Collections in the South County Room
- John Ward Collection: photographs, memorabilia and works by the Wickford journalist.
- Paule Loring Collection: Original works by the Wickford artist. Appointment needed.
- Miniature Book Collection: May be examined by appointment only.
- Updike Collection: Examples of Merrymount Press Work.
- Eichenberg Collection: Books illustrated by one of R.I.'s internationally known artists.
- Post Card Collection: Post card views of South County.
- Photograph Collection: People, buildings and places in our area. By appointment.
- Scrap Book Collection: Most of the books were compiled by local historian Mary K. Huling.
Requesting Print or Scanned Copies of the material from the South County Room
We are limiting each order that is made to five pages due to the limited time that the
reference staff is available to spend researching and copying materials.
There is a photocopying/scanning charge of $1.00 per page and a processing fee of $2.00 per order. Please send the following with your order:
1. A self-addressed stamped business-sized envelope (for print copies.)
2. The processing and photocopying/scanning fee.
The library will accept only a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank (credit cards will not be accepted). Please do not send cash through the mail.
Send all orders to:
North Kingstown Free Library
South County Room Information Requests
100 Boone St.
N. Kingstown, RI 02852